[sane-devel] local user using scanner

Terry D. Boldt fastsnip-frnds1@yahoo.com
Fri, 13 May 2005 12:54:01 -0400

On Friday 13 May 2005 12:39 pm, John Coppens wrote:
> On Thu, 12 May 2005 16:51:38 -0400
>
> "Terry D. Boldt" <fastsnip-frnds1@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Just installed Fedora Core 3 (had been using RH8 Linux Kernal 2.4.20).
> >
> > Am having trouble getting permission for the local user (non-root) to
> > use the scanners.  I can run xsane (and vuescan) as root and the
> > scanners are found and used no problem. But cannot do the same as a non-
> > root user.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > I have an idea it might have something to do with settings the proper
> > permissions someplace, but I have no idea where.
>
> Need more information (c)...
>
> Is it a parallel scanner or USB? If parallel, you'll have to run the
> saned to be able to scan as non-priviledged user.
> If USB, the trick is probably to change the permits of the USB ports
> using the hotplug system.

usb - I am currently trying to get the hotplug system working. Changed the
permissions in the file /etc/udev/permissions.d/50-udev.permissions
as follows:

# scanner devices
#scanner:root:root:0600
scanner:root:root:0666
#usb/scanner*:root:root:0600
usb/scanner*:root:root:0666

No effect.

I can change the permissions of the file /proc/bus/usb/0001/0003 which
corresponds to the Epson scanner to "rw" for all (it is "rw" for root and "r"
for all others. When I make this modification as root, then the scanner is
found by xsane for users. Only this technique has to be done after each
reboot. There must be a way to make it happen automagically at boot time.

Thanks,
Terry