[sane-devel] local user using scanner

Terry D. Boldt fastsnip-frnds1@yahoo.com
Sun, 15 May 2005 19:42:02 -0400

I looked into using up2date to update the FC3 package - I am restricted
(financially) to a dialup line ($7.50/month versus $30.00/month for DSL - for
a working stiff that may not sound like much, but for somebody on disability,
unable to work, fixed income with fuel prices skyrocketing, that is a LOT).
To  download the multi-hundreds of Megabytes in the updates is simply not
feasible in a single dAY. I could packup the machine, check into a local
Marroitt with high speed internet access (providing the access works on FC3)
and do the update there :-).

I was considering having a friend with high speed access at work download the
total update package(s) and burn CDs for me. Don't know if that is a feasible
way to access the updates though. It seems that the "up2date" package only
works online.

I guess I will have to live with a broken FC3 until I can find another distro
that isn't as badly broken or wait for FC4 - hopefully these problems will be
fixed there since you indicate the updated FC3 fixes the problem. Unless,
that is, somebody distributes the updates on CD-ROM, then I could use that.

Thanks for your help.

Terry