[sane-devel] USB scanner fails to connect

Tony van der Hoff tony@vanderhoff.org
Mon, 30 May 2005 17:45:53 +0100

Hi,

I'm trying to get my UMAX Astra 2200 USB scannner to work with my Mandrake
Linux 10.1 (kernel 2.6.8.1) box, and am failing miserably. The scanner works
fine (both USB and SCSI) under 'doze.

I think I've got SANE installed correctly, but I'm not even getting a
/dev/usbscanner entry. When replugging the scanner, dmesg shows:

ohci_hcd 0000:00:0f.2: wakeup
usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using address 2
usb 1-1: control timeout on ep0in
usb 1-1: device descriptor read/all, error -110
usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using address 3
usb 1-1: control timeout on ep0in
usb 1-1: device descriptor read/all, error -110

Following power cycles result in the same message , but with steadily
incrementing USB addresses.

sane-troubleshoot tries hard, but in the end gives up. sane-find-scanner
simply reports no scanner found.

>From perusing this lists archives, there is some suggestion that this may be
a kernel problem. If so, can anyone direct me to a better source to resolve
this? If not, can anyone please help me resolve the problem?

Thanks, Tony
--
Tony van der Hoff        | mailto:tony@vanderhoff.org
Buckinghamshire, England