[sane-devel] SuSE 9.3, HP PSC 1510 is not a scanner

Franz Brandner franz.brandner at web.de
Thu Nov 3 01:35:04 UTC 2005

First of all (and I mean it) thank you for your quick and kind answers to my
questions. Yet, despite all advice and quite some effort, I still haven't
managed to solve my problem, PSC 1510 is a perfect printer but it won't scan,
although it seems to be properly installed (as far as i can tell). Well, to
make a long story short I'm running out of energy now. But to give it one
last try and for your information as well here's what I did and tried,
including the poor results:

as already mentioned "sane-find-scanner" put out: USB scanner, vendor HP, PSC
1500 series, at libusb:001:004

"/sbin/lsusb": Bus 001 Device 004: ID... Hewlett-Packard; Bus 001 Device 001:
- no ID -  (which seems to be normal I understood)

yet, scanning cannot be installed with YaST -> Hardware -> Scanner, the device
is listed as above (USB scanner, vendor HP, PSC 1500 etc.), as there is no
entry for it in the next step I selected "HP - most multifunction...
hpaio" (as recommended), the result is: driver active, no active scanner

"rchplip status" verified that hplip is up and running

"dmesg | grep -i usb" put out no error or failure, I only noticed that no
'scanning device' was mentioned there, just a 'printing device'

"egrep -i 'hplip|hpiod|hpssd'/var/log/messages | tail -n40" brought out
nothing, but maybe I did something wrong there? Tried it several times, kept
waiting for up to 40 minutes, nothing happened. Looked up "/var/log/messages"
directly then, the only error I could find was 'linux hp: unable to
open /var/run/hpiod.port: no such file or directory'. I suppose this has
nothing to do with my problem itself, just wanted to mention it to make sure.

I also tried the hpoj driver, same result: driver active, no active scanner.
Although I always uninstalled hplip before installing hpoj, the last time i
tried the hpoj I got a failure notice after "/usr/sbin/ptal-init setup", I
couldn't really understand that. Not so important as hplip would be first
choice anyway as far as I hopefully correctly learned.

One last question, I am considering an upgrade anyway: Would things probably
work any better with SuSE 10.0?

Thanks for listening.