[sane-devel] Experiences with AGFA Snapscan 1212U?

Klaus-Peter Schrage kpschrage at gmx.de
Thu Nov 3 17:12:38 UTC 2005

Ron Hunter-Duvar schrieb:
> I have a chance to pick up a used AGFA Snapscan 1212U from a friend (he moved
> to XP and it's not supported, and gives dire warnings against trying).
>
> I see that the support on both the current stable version and the dev version
> is marked as "good". Is there any important features known to be missing that
> stop it from being marked "complete"? Or is it just because "complete" is
> hard to achieve/prove (I saw the recent thread on the definitions of "good"
> and "complete")?
>
> Any particular positive or negatives experiences?

I've been using mine for many years now without problems under
linux/sane and XP - it's well supported there if you have the proper
driver, which is still available although AGFA has discontinued support
for their scanners:
http://www.agfa.com/digicam_scanner_drivers/scanner/snapscan_1212u/index.html

You'll really need the firmware file, even under linux, which has to be
loaded into the scanner's volatile memory every time it is switched on.
So, if you don't have that, I can send it to you off list.

Klaus