[sane-devel] Nikon LS50/5000

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Wed Nov 9 16:29:01 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 08:48:13AM +0100, Spiro Angeli wrote:
> > export SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_USB=4
> > export SANE_DEBUG_COOLSCAN2=255
> > scanimage > photo.pnm
>
> It all points to my Epson scanner even if both scanners are turned on. So, I
> am not able to test it this way. Please provide more info so I can directly
> scan with the Nikon scanner.

man scanimage
scanimage --help
scanimage -d coolscan2 > photo.pnm

> Well, this is not sufficent for allowing a user to fully utilize what was
> purchased (in my openion). I purchased this device becaue of all its
> features. Leaving some out would not match purchasing goals.

So you purchased this device with full SANE support? I guess you
should ask the vendor to provide this full support.

> For sure you know this scanner better than I do just because you are
> deveoloping the driver, but I wish to ask you a question then: How come
> VieScan allows all customizations?

Perhaps the Vuescan author just implemented all the features in
software? You are free to do so in SANE also, i.e. it's not impossible
or forbidden, it just hasn't been done yet in this case.