[sane-devel] Xerox Workcentre PE16 and Samsung driver.

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Sun Nov 13 14:17:35 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 04:20:44PM +0300, Alexey Lobanov wrote:
> In accordance with
> http://www.sane-project.org/unsupported/xerox-workcentre-pe16.html , I
> tried to use the Xerox PE16 machine with Samsung propietary backend.
>
> The result is really funny: Samsung backend recognizes this device as
> "SAMSUNG WorkCentre PE16" flatbed scanner. Note the combined correct
> device name and wrong vendor name.

This is really strange. Usually backends identify scanners by the
vendor and product ids and than either print the vendor/product
strings or they have their own list of product ids/names.

If this were the case here, this meant that the scanner was correctly
detected (maybe the backend prints always "SAMSUNG").

> The further step fails for very natural reason:
>
> sane_open - device name "SAMSUNG WorkCentre PE16 on USB:0"cannot open!

You could try to enabled debugging to find out whatÄs wrong. Check the
documentation of that backend (if any) for details.

> Yes, of course: USB:0 is "Xerox WorkCentre PE16", not "SAMSUNG... ".

I'm not sure if that's the reason.

> Any ideas? How can I rename an USB device?

No. Well, you could do that in the kernel or libusb with some tricks
but I don't think itÄs helpful.

> Please reply to my personal address, I am not subscribed.

Please subscribe. Otherwise I must manually approve every single mail
from you.