[sane-devel] Trying to use Lexmark 3300 with scanimage

Fred Odendaal freshshelf at rogers.com
Sat Nov 19 04:42:28 UTC 2005

Rayudu,

When I first decided to write a driver for my Lexmark X1185 I started
with the Lexmark USB Scanner Device Driver kit. It has many draw backs;
it's not open source; it's meant to work with old kernels (2.4x) -
compatible with RedHat 8.0, RedHat 9.0, Mandrake 9.0, Mandrake 9.1,
Mandrake 9.2, SuSE 8.1, SuSE 8.2 and SuSE 9.0.; it's built on a really
old version of SANE backend development libraries (1.0.13); you have to
hack frontend and backend makefiles to add support for linking in c++
code; it only works for the following AIO devices: X5250, X7170.

Any one of these is reason enough not to use it, but when you put them
all together you have to ask "why bother offering the kit in the first
place?". I abandoned this approach and wrote my own driver using usb
logfiles from scans on a Windows machine using the Lexmark driver. It is
now in the SANE backends CVS repository and works for all X1100 series
scanners except the new X1195. It scans well, but I've received
complaints about image quality. This is because it doesn't do colour
calibration or dark compensation yet.

regards,
Fred Odendaal