[sane-devel] Epson Perfection 3490 on Ubuntu Breezy 5.10?

Ulrich Deiters Ulrich.Deiters at uni-koeln.de
Mon Nov 21 09:32:15 UTC 2005

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005, Denis Haskin wrote:

> Very weird.  Looks like what's happening is that the scanner keeps resetting
> itself (every few seconds) and gets assigned a new USB device number.
>
> I thought maybe the problem was I hadn't specified any firmware file, so I got
> that off the Windows install CD and modified snapscan.config to add it, but
> hasn't seemed to change behavior.

a) Look up the device file(s) under /proc/bus/usb, they should have
   a write permission for everyone (nou relevant if you scan with
   su privileges)

b) Has the firmware file got the correct permissions?

c) Did you install SANE to /usr/local ? Sometimes it helps to
   link the sane.d directory to /etc:
   ln -s /usr/local/etc/sane.d /etc/sane.d

Regards,

Ulrich Deiters