[sane-devel] Epson Perfection 3490 on Ubuntu Breezy 5.10?

Oliver Schwartz Oliver.Schwartz at gmx.de
Tue Nov 22 19:18:48 UTC 2005

Hi,

> Very weird.  Looks like what's happening is that the scanner keeps
> resetting itself (every few seconds) and gets assigned a new USB
> device number.
>
> I thought maybe the problem was I hadn't specified any firmware
> file, so I got that off the Windows install CD and modified
> snapscan.config to add it, but hasn't seemed to change behavior.
>
> Anybody have any thoughts?

If you want to use the 3490 with the snapscan backend you'll need to
compile the CVS version of sane-backends yourself. The version of
sane-backends that shipped with Ubuntu doesn't support your scanner.

CVS snapshots are available from
http://www.sane-project.org/snapshots .

The next official release of sane-backends is scheduled for 11th
December. Once the release is done there's some chance that binary
packages for your distribution are made available.

If you use the CVS snapshot already and still get errors please send
me a debug log:
SANE_DEBUG_SNAPSCAN=50 scanimage -L 2>debug.log

/Oliver