[sane-devel] Try #2 Epson Perfection 3490 on Ubuntu

Denis Haskin denis at haskinferguson.net
Sat Nov 26 14:54:58 UTC 2005

I'm still struggling with trying to get this Epson Perfection 3490 to
work even basically (a couple of poeople on this  list seem to have it
working at a basic level, at least, so any help would be appreciate).

What I've done thus far:

I removed all the existing sane packages via the Synaptic package
manager, renamed /etc/sane.d to be /etc/sane.d-old.

I downloaded the CVS snapshot, did configure, make, and make install.

/etc/sane.d isn't recreated by now there is /usr/local/etc/sane.d, so I
checked the snapscan.conf there, it had an entry for the firmware file
like this:
    firmware /usr/share/sane/snapscan/Esfw52.bin
so I made sure that  directory was there and the firmware file was
there, all world-readable.

When I power up the scanner, I get pretty much the same behavior I was
getting before, although maybe slightly improved.  The scanner seems to
be resetting every second or so... in dmesg I get a series of messages
like this:

[4352427.799000] usb 5-7: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and
address 63
[4352428.131000] usb 5-7: USB disconnect, address 63
[4352428.300000] usb 5-7: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and
address 64
[4352428.631000] usb 5-7: USB disconnect, address 64

which never stop.

sane-find-scanner will show the scanner about 50% of the time, but of
course the USB device number keeps changing, e.g.:
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8, product=0x0122) at libusb:005:023
and then a second later:
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8, product=0x0122) at libusb:005:028

scanimage -L does pretty much the same behavior.

Is this constant resetting and new USB device number to be expected?

You know, now that I think about it this may also explain some behavior
I've been seeing with my digital camera when connected via USB.  Maybe
this is an issue with my motherboard's USB hub.  Any recommendations
where I would go to investigate this?

Thanks,

dwh