[sane-devel] help required to use umax astra 4100 on linux

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Mon Nov 28 18:41:21 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 10:56:11AM +0530, Parag N wrote:
>             I got name of chipset its a GL646_HP.  total output for umax
> astra 4100  of sane-find-scanner is =>
>                found USB scanner (vendor=0x0461 [Primax],
> product=0x038c    [USB
> Scanner], chip=GL646_HP) at libusb:004:002

Thanks. Please send the output of "sane-find-scanner -v -v".

>             One more thing i want to ask to develop a driver for this UMAX
> Astra 4100 i think i need to add backend in sane-backends source package and
> install it on RHEL to have it working fine. Is that right? and xsane will
> then recognise this scanner.

In principle this is right. In your case there is already a backend
for the gl646 chipset named "genesys". So you should add the scanner
to that backend. For discussions about the genesys backend please read
the archive of this mailing list.