[sane-devel] Error with Umax Astra 2200 under XSane 0.98

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Wed Nov 30 18:39:06 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 09:42:51AM -0800, Alan Corey wrote:
> I don't get this with 0.97, and I've removed my .sane directory so the
> configuration can be reset (although not before building).  Uninstalling 0.98
> and reinstalling 0.97 works.  No problem with 0.98 on an HP scanner I've got,
> also using libusb.
>
> When the interface comes up after finding the scanner I get the error  "Failed
> to start scanner: Invalid argument."  I don't have any idea what argument since
> it doesn't tell me.  It's bad error reporting, unless the problem argument is
> an empty string, but there isn't even a "" showing in the dialog that pops up.
>
> Operating system is OpenBSD 3.8, which now comes with libusb-0.1.10a by the
> way.  0.97 works great, and I spent many hours using it over the past few days.

export SANE_DEBUG_UMAX=255
may show the reason for the error. There is also XSANE_DEBUG.

I've also trouble (probably stack corruption) whith xsane 0.98 and the
gt68xx backend which didn't happen with 0.97 and earlier versions.
However I don't know yet if it's xsane's fault or if the new version
just uncovered an otherwise hidden bug in gt68xx.