[sane-devel] mustek_usb2 backend ready for inclusion in CVS -- please test!

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Sat Oct 1 21:46:28 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Sat, Oct 01, 2005 at 10:52:51PM +0200, sane at zago.net wrote:
> This code is in dire need of de-windowsification. Eg this kind of non
> portable code:
>  typedef unsigned long UINT, DWORD, *LPDWORD;

Unfortunately you are right. The code has been created by Mustek based
on their Windows source code. I'll see what size these types really
need. I'm pretty sure that "unsigned int" is ok for all of them.

The idea is to keep the SANE and Windows driver as close as possible
to eachother to enable the Mustek people to add more scanners easier.

On the other hand I already had to change a lot of stuff like their
split in separate libraries.

> There's also some global variables that should be moved somewhere else
> (m_bDSOpen, ...)

While I also think it's better to don't use global variables for all
the scanner states, changing this requires a lot more effort. Also it
makes the backend again more different to the Windows driver. I'm not
sure yet if that's worth the effort.

> The other mustek backend (P 3600 A3 Pro) has the same problems too.

That backend hasn't been touched by me yet and is based on the same
code base. It's in a similar state as the mustek_usb2 backend before
I modified it. It has been published in that early stage as I have
gotten quite some questions about sane drivers for it.

I'm not sure what to do with the P 3600 A3 Pro backend yet. It's based
on the same code as the mustek_usb2 but has quite a lot of changes in
every file. So I guess my plan to use one single backend for alls
these SQ chips won't work.

Thanks for your comments,