[sane-devel] Support for Epson All-in-one

Mogens Jaeger mogensjaeger at get2net.dk
Tue Oct 4 13:54:37 UTC 2005

Johannes Meixner wrote:
>Hello,
>
>On Sep 30 07:49 Russbucket wrote (shortened):
>
>>I just updated SANE to version 1.0.15-21 on SuSE 9.1. My Epson CX6600
>>

>This model is supported by the "epkowa" backend (i.e. driver).
>This backend is not included in SANE.
>This backend is only included in the "Image Scan" (iscan) software
>from Epson Avasys (formerly Epson Kowa):
>http://www.avasys.jp/english/linux_e/index.html
>
>YaST in SuSE 9.1 has no support for "iscan".
>Since 9.3 there is YaST support for "iscan".
>Therefore you must set up your scanner manually, see
>http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2004/10/jsmeix_scanner-setup-92.html
>
>If you have an AMD 64-bit machine, see also
>http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2005/03/jsmeix_scanner-setup-93.html
>
>Kind Regards
>Johannes Meixner

I have another problem with the SuSE9.3. I have just upgraded my
maschine to an AMD64, but as the driver for my Matrox P650 graphic-card
with two monitors attached can't compile/run i 64-bit mode, I have
forced an 32-bit install. It seems OK - but...

When setting up the scanner under YaST, it demands to install the iscan
driver (it's an Epson 2450 photo - also known as an GT9700F). When done
everything seems OK.
Starting the XSane shows no problem, but when I acquire an preview, all
I get is 'Error during device I/O'.

sane-find-scanner gives:
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x0112 [EPSON
Scanner]) at libusb:005:003

Before upgrade I had a motherboard with only USB1.1 support, and a
USB2.0 PCI card installed. The scanner would not use this card, (Epson
writes about my 'series' of scanners, that problems can occur attaching
them to a hub), so I had it attached to the USB1.1 (slow - but it worked).

So changing the USB to 1.1 in BIOS, I can use my scanner again.

I have two printers and my digital camera attached to the USB2.0 - and
they work great, so I am not satisfied with having to change the whole
back to USB1.1.

Where to start debugging my system - I have tested it OK under windozeXP?

The scanner/motherboard has a Firewire connection too - the
compatibility says 'not tested' elsewhere I have seen it reported to
work - has anybody here tried this?

Thanks in advance

Ps. to Johannes Meixner - sorry for sending directly to you (first) it's
a bad habit be me, just hitting the 'reply' button, without checking the
reciever-adress.
--
mvh Mogens Jæger