[sane-devel] misleading support status explanation?

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Oct 6 08:33:54 UTC 2005

Hello,

right now I noticed on
http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#legend
* good means the device is usable for day-to-day work.
  Some rather exotic features may be missing.
* complete means the backends supports everything the device can do.

I think the explanation what "complete" means may be misleading
for normal users because normally the nice buttons for e-mail,
printing and whatever stuff on the scanners are not supported.
And consider all-in-one devices where a normal user may
not understand that this is only about the scanning functionality
(but neither about printing nor faxing nor whatever stuff).
Therefore often not everything the device can do is supported.

I think to avoid user complaints it should be more clear
that "everything the device can do" actually means
"every scanning mode the device can do".

For example:

* basic means it works at least in the most important
  scanning modes but quality is not perfect.
* good means the device is usable for day-to-day work.
  Some rather exotic scanning modes may be missing.
* complete means the backend supports every scanning mode
  the device can do.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de