[sane-devel] Re: can't get epson scanner to work on mac

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Sat Oct 8 08:46:11 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 03:46:23PM -0700, Ivan Middleton wrote:
> It looks like I wasn't turning on all the debug flags that I should
> have.  After turning those on, I see errors like
>
> [sanei_usb] sanei_usb_open: libusb complained:
> usb_set_configuration(SetConfiguration): device not opened for
> exclusive access

This means that some other driver has the device open. In the thread
"macosx/darwin -- canoscan lide25 -- partial success" the cause of the
same problem was that the original Canon driver was installed which
keeps the device open for checking if a button was pressed.

If you have another driver for your scanner installed, disable it.

> Backends that use the function "fork" may not work at least with USB
> scanners.  That's a limitation of MacOS X (doesn't use file descriptors

This is not related.