[sane-devel] User permissions

Michael Irons michael at beckonsmeby.com
Sat Oct 8 10:05:45 UTC 2005

On Sat October 8 2005 2:53 am, Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 03:34:01PM -0600, Michael Irons wrote:
> > I am trying to set up a HP Scanjet 2200c on gentoo (kernel
> > 2.6.12-gentoo-r9)
>
> This kernel doesn't have the kernel scanner driver anymore. So libusb
> is used.
>
> > I have been all over the web for two days and have tried to follow many
> > how tos, but with no luck.
>
> README.linux points to hotplug. See also man sane-usb. Have you
> checked that hotplug is setup correctly?
>
> > sane-find-scanner -v:
> > ...scsi stuff...
> > searching for USB scanners:
> > checking /dev/usb/scanner... failed to open (Invalid argument)
>
> This would be the device for the kernel scanner module. As it doesn't
> exist anymore, you can ignore these lines.
>
> > found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0 [Hewlett-Packard], product=0x0605 [HP
> > ScanJet 2200C], chip=LM9832/3) at libusb:001:005
>
> The device files usually are here: /proc/bus/usb/001/005
> This file must have the correct permissions.
>
> > scanimage -L (as user)
> > doesn't find anything
>
> Also check that there is no problem with locking. Enable debugging and
> check the messages as user:
> SANE_DEBUG_PLUSTEK=255 scanimage -L
>
> > I added to /etc/udev/10-udev.rules
> > # scanner devices
> > scanner:root:scanner:0660
> > usb/scanner*:root:scanner:0660
>
> I don't know these udev rules, but if you want to use them, they must
> be for the generic usb devices /proc/bus/usb/... (or wherever they are
> placed with udev).
>
> Bye,
>   Henning

Over the last few hours, I sat down and started learning udev and how to write
rules. About an hour ago, I just learned that the kernel does not have a
scanner driver anymore. It says so in a udev file. Where were you several
hours ago ;). Oh, well. I think I may have found out how to set up the udev
rules for my card reader in the process.

I also found I do use libusb.

I ran  SANE_DEBUG_PLUSTEK=255 scanimage -L and it looks like i do have a
locking problem.

Here is what i get at the end:

[plustek] usbDev_open(libusb:001:002,0x03F0-0x0605) - 0x8053850
[plustek] sanei_access_lock failed: 11
[plustek] open failed: -1
[plustek] sane_get_devices (0xbfca2b28, 0)

I looked at some mailing lists and also ran
export SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_ACCESS=255 ; scanimage -L

and got:

[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of sanei_access to 255.
[sanei_access] sanei_access_init: >plustek<
[sanei_access] sanei_access_lock: devname >libusb:001:002<, timeout: 5
[sanei_access] sanei_access_lock: open
>/var/lib/lock/sane/LCK..libusb:001:002< failed: Permission denied

looks like I do not have permission on the lock file. Any idea how to fix
this. I of course will google around, but if you know off the top of your
head, I could rest my eyes.

Thank you very much. Also Thanks to Bertrik who emailed me almost concurrently
with you with similar advice.

Thanks
Michael

--