[sane-devel] Re: can't get epson scanner to work on mac (success)

Ivan Middleton ivan_middleton at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 8 15:36:52 UTC 2005

> > [sanei_usb] sanei_usb_open: libusb complained:
> > usb_set_configuration(SetConfiguration): device not opened for
> > exclusive access
>
> This means that some other driver has the device open. In the thread
> "macosx/darwin -- canoscan lide25 -- partial success" the cause of
> the
> same problem was that the original Canon driver was installed which
> keeps the device open for checking if a button was pressed.
>
> If you have another driver for your scanner installed, disable it.

I never installed a driver, but I guess I should have figured that
MacOSX would detect the scanner and run something in the background
without telling me.  Namely:

/Library/Image Capture/Devices/EPSON Scanner.app

After killing that process, scanimage works perfectly.

I guess I shouldn't complain too much that MacOSX does so many things
automatically.  In this case, I'm surprised that it loaded the scanner
driver but didn't open Image Capture (or ask if I wanted to open it).

Thanks for the help.

Ivan