[sane-devel] Mustek Bearpaw 2400 CU plus scanner and gt68xx backend

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Sun Oct 9 13:10:59 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Sat, Oct 08, 2005 at 11:38:52AM +0100, Charles Mangles wrote:
> Following the advice given subsequently, i.e. downloading the latest
> PS2Dfw2.usb firmware and renaming it to PS2Dfw.usb, resulted in the
> following error message when I tried to run xsane "failed to open device
> gt68xx:libusb:003:003".  After unplugging the USB card and the scanner,
> reinserting them and replacing the new PS2Dfw.usb file with the original
> one, I tried again, only to get the error message "failed to start
> scanner: Invalid argument" and a message in the kernel log.

Please send a log file, e.g. like this:

SANE_DEBUG_GT68XX=255 scanimage >/dev/null 2>log.txt

> Every time the scanner fails to work, I have to unplug the usb card and
> the scanner from the card, reinsert the card, wait for about two minutes
> and reinsert the scanner usb plug, otherwise neither sane or scanimage
> can detect the scanner.

In the (seldom) case that one of my gt68xx scanners gets locked due to
bad commands, it's sufficient to pull their USB plug and plug it in
again. Your description seems to indicate that there is either a hardware
problem with your card or with the driver of that card. It's not
related to the backend or SANE.

> A final, possibly related, mystery is that my scanner is detected as a
> usb1.1 device (full-speed), not a usb 2.0.

As it's is a USB 1.1 device, that's quite normal :-)
The GT6801 and GT6816 chips are both USB 1.1 only.

> I am running Debian Sarge 2.6.11, xsane version:

The sane-backends version is important. As explained in the mail you
refer to, you need a current development version of SANE (or at least
a current gt68xx backend). SANE 1.0.16 is not recent enough.