[sane-devel] TWAIN 2.0 targetting Linux

Stéphane VOLTZ stefdev at modulonet.fr
Tue Oct 11 04:40:03 UTC 2005

Le Lundi 10 Octobre 2005 10:23, René Rebe a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> aside my SANE Avision backend I do various other stuff - including a
> commercial TWAIN driver, recently.
>
> I noticed the TWAIN 2.0 "work in progress" list includes the target "Linux"
> and a "rewritten Data Souce Manager released under /a/ /open/ source
> license".
>
> http://www.twain.org/docs/TWAIN2.pdf
>
> I'm not sure if I'm too happy about that, since it might bring new
> diversity into the already difuse Linux land and might hinder SANE 2 from
> ever beeing started.
>
> What do other think?

	Hello,

	I believe this is a great thing. Some time in the future, people will be able
to bought scanner with the software to have it run immediatly under linux. It
is what most people (including me) want. A good point for the so-called
'linux desktop'.
	The diversity wouldn't be a bad thing. We can think the situation would be
like for video drivers were ATI/NVidia provides closed sources drivers, and
the free software community open ones. People have then the choice, which is
good.
	Personnaly, this wouldn't make me stop working on SANE. I do it for fun, and
this won't go away. I'm sure there will be still scanners 'windows only' in
the future to keep  the 'game' interesting.

Regards,
	Stef