[sane-devel] TWAIN 2.0 targetting Linux

Wolfram Heider wolframheider at web.de
Tue Oct 11 22:50:28 UTC 2005

Hello,

in my view and daily work experiience the initial idea of having something
which makes life easier for the common scanning guy is of undisputable sex
appeal. Since even if you ever stay in the same distro with ever the same
scanner you have steadily to fiddle around from versionnumber to
versionnumber to get the damned little thing running anew. Much worse it is
if you have to install various scanners in constantly changing environments;
then you will have to invest huge amounts of working time in reconfiguring
the whole scanner stuff from version to version (especially notorious SuSE
with a design of boot scripts and a folder tree never coming to a rest). You
will have to read a lot. SANE documentation is excelllent and with its help
and that from this list you will  fix almost everthing (okay trouble with
your mother-in-law maybe not entirely). But for the normal windowser (i.e.
the normal pc-user) and even for many of the windows used sysadmins this is
the pure horror (TCO- eh?). They simply won't read any more. They just want
to click.
However I doubt if the cohabitation of SANE and TWAIN could be a solution for
this. Probably it would only taint the coherence of the solid SANE code
indeed. And most likely it would  just be good for raising the confusion.
Seen from the angle of common usability, I imagine, it could be better to have
something like a general installer which would do all the system- and
distrospecific setup, the rights management and so on. This could be done by
a script (a rather big script admittedly) which had to consider appropriately
the different administrative structures of the different OSes (Windows95 et
al/NT et al; Mac OSX/pre OSX and in the realm of Linux mainly Redhat and
SuSE-like distros on the one and the debian breed on the other hand. I knew
this would demand  some hardheaded guys with a pretty wide view and a rapid
reaction steadily on the alert to encounter the recent changes in OS
software. Maybe it's just a dream. But I dream it almost every day when I
have to get  running a scanner (or serveral) somewhere out there.

Regards
Wolfram Heider