[sane-devel] TWAIN 2.0 targetting Linux

Mattias Ellert mattias.ellert at tsl.uu.se
Wed Oct 12 10:09:38 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 22:51 +0200, Philipp Schmid wrote:
> Brian J Densmore schrieb:
>
> Hello,
>
> So I think the only reasonable thing we could do is to devel one general SANE backend that
> is able to work with all TWAIN-drivers. But I'm not a man of TWAIN and I can't say if
> this is theoretical possible and how much time would be necessary to devel such a backend.

This is essentially the opposite of what is currently being done for
MacOS X. All applications on MacOS X use TWAIN for communicating with
the scanners. However, there is very little support from the scanner
vendors in providing TWAIN drivers for MacOS X.

So, what to do. The sane backends compiles and works (more or less) on
MacOS X, since it has a unix kernel and a gcc compiler, and the USB and
SCSI sane internals has been ported to the MacOS X IO kit APIs.

But since all MacOS X applications communicates via TWAIN, this alone is
not enough. However, there is a TWAIN SANE Interface which acts as a
TWAIN driver and accepts TWAIN requests from the applications and at the
same time as a SANE client forwarding the requests to the SANE backends.
So essentially you have the "one general" TWAIN driver that talks to
whatever scanner SANE supports.

	Mattias