[sane-devel] iscan-1.17.0

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf at member.fsf.org
Sat Oct 15 02:44:07 UTC 2005

Jim MacLeod <j75trym at blueyonder.co.uk> writes:

> My system is kubuntu 5.10 and I'm hoping to get an Epson 3490 working.
> I know it's not the ideal route to go, but I downloaded the rpm version and
> used alien to convert it to .deb and then installed it with dpkg.
> The only conflict was with libsane-extra which I removed.

There's a good chance that the %post script was not converted so a
number of post-install activities may not have been carried out.

> Files have installed in expected places - /usr/lib, /usr/lib/iscan etc and
> the program runs, but only to advise "Could not send command to scanner.
> Check status"

Have you added the epkowa backend to /etc/sane.d/dll.conf?
What architecture are you using?  It'll only work on IA32 (32bit ix86).

> cat /proc/bus/usb/devices shows no driver loaded.

Does sane-find-scanner list the device?

> Vuescan works ok so I can at least be sure it's not a hardware problem.
> <gripe> It's to be regretted that both vuescan and iscan describe themselves
> as 'stand-alone' but only vuescan does as it says.</gripe>
>
> However, has anyone got iscan working on a debian system or can offer any
> pointers. Relative newbie, so easy on the technical stuff.

Works fine for me ;-)  All iscan development (even my hacking at home)
is done on Debian GNU/Linux testing machines.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/