[sane-devel] EPSON Perfection 3490

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf at member.fsf.org
Sat Oct 15 02:35:35 UTC 2005

Gilles <gilles at harfang.homelinux.org> writes:

> Hello.
>
> I'd like to get advice on the EPSON Perfection 3490.
> Features (from the vendor):
>   48 bits
>   3200 dpi,
>   CCD
>   transparency adapter
>   USB 2.0
>
> Does someone know whether it is supported?
> And which backend it uses, as that the likewise named scanners are split
> between "epson" and "SnapScan" (and "epson" seems a better choice as
> support is "complete").

This scanner is _not_ supported by the epson backend (and won't be).
It is supported to some extent by the snapscan backend and the epkowa
backend.  The latter requires a non-free binary module that only works
on IA32 (32bit ix86) machines.

I can't vouch for the snapscan backend (the list shows a variety of
messages that mention problems with its support), but the epkowa
backend only supports a subset of the features touted in the product
specification.  It does go up to 3200dpi, but won't do 48bits for
example.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen