[sane-devel] SuSE 10.0 gets "Out of memory" for Epson 4870 (GT-X700)

Roger Price rprice at cs.uml.edu
Mon Oct 24 08:32:11 UTC 2005

Henning Meier-Geinitz <henning at meier-geinitz.de> writes:

> As far as I can see, lcount is set here:
> lcount = sanei_scsi_max_request_size / s->params.bytes_per_line;
> So lcount would be 0 if sanei_scsi_max_request_size were smaller than
> (in this case) 41712. Maybe there is a problem with this kernel buffer
> size?

Hello Henning, Based on your insight, I tried scanning the postcards in
portrait mode, and quarter turning them later with the viewer.  This works,
and provides me with a temporary workaround.
________________________________

Kees Lemmens <C.W.J.Lemmens at ewi.tudelft.nl> writes:

> Are you sure you have swap memory enabled ? These problems often occur on
> systems without swap enabled.
> Check with "free" : if the Swap: line reports zero you have a problem ;-)

Hello Kees, Yes, my swap partition was detected by the SuSE 10.0 installer and
turned on.  free currently shows:

  Mem:        515748     498652      17096          0     138768      80300
  -/+ buffers/cache:     279584     236164
  Swap:       514040      22720     491320

At the moment the "Out of memory" message appeared, swap had not yet been
used.

Best Regards,
Roger