[sane-devel] Compiling: make doesn't do anything?

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Mon Oct 24 17:47:01 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 01:28:34PM -0400, Patrick Lessard wrote:
> 1- Everytime I do a modification on the .c file, when I do make, it says,
> nothing to do for 'all'? I have to do a make -B, but this recompile
> everything and it's taking too long.

This happens if you change a .c file that is not a main file, i.e.
that is included by some other C-file. There has been some discussion
about this behaviout and possible solutions, but nobody has
implemented anything yet. If you are interested, search the archive.
The work around is to touch (or edit) the main file. E.g. if yo fiddle
with gt69xx_devices.c, touch gt68xx.c and run "make".

> 2- Also, to test my modifications, I do a make install. After that I start
> xsane, but how can I make sure that xsane is really using the new library?
> Is there some cache somewhere that I should clear?

You could put a debug print in sane_init, e.g.

DBG(0, "This is actually Patrick Lessard's code\n");

and check if it's printed in the teminal you run xsane from.

> 3- Where do I enable/disable to logging when setting the ENV Var of a
> particular backend?

E.g. for the gt68xx backend, enter in a terminal window:

export SANE_DEBUG_GT68xx=255 (enables all debugging)
xsane

Bye,
  henning