[sane-devel] Compiling: make doesn't do anything?

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Mon Oct 24 18:49:19 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 01:59:09PM -0400, Patrick Lessard wrote:
> ok, but it says in the man page "If  the  library  was  compiled with debug
> support enabled".
>
> Where can I check this?

Usually you can just assume that it has been compiled with debug
support enabled. This is the default and I don't know of any current
Linux distribution or other OS that disables debugging.

I haven't used this for a long time, but I think you must define
NDEBUG to disable debugging. So if you haven't defined this during
compiling or in some header file, debugging should be active. Let's try:

$ export CPPFLAGS=-DNDEBUG
$ ./configure
$ make
$ make install

Surprisingly, this works. No debug output :-)