[sane-devel] Trouble with Primax 4800 Direct

Daniel Klär dklaer at gmx.de
Mon Oct 24 19:40:50 UTC 2005

Gerhard Jaeger schrieb:

>>I couldn't figure out why xscanimage and xsane were crashing all the
>>time, so I started using scanimage. At least xsane (using the
>>net:localhost device) prompts a box telling me, that the backend wants
>>to have username and password. I have to test this more systematically,
>>maybe next weekend or after work today.
>

> Okay - please keep me informed.

Here we go, one quick test. I start xscanimage as normal user. It
doesn't ask me what device I want to choose (like it does for root),
it uses the net:localhost:plustek_pp:parport0 automatically. I click
"Preferences" in the menu and check the checkbox "Show advanced
options": xscanimage disappears without saying "Good bye".
I try again, xscanimage comes up, I make the window a little bit
larger --> Preferences --> Show advanced options. Ooops, it really
shows me these options: 4 range sliders in the righthandside part of
the window. I click on the slider "Bottom-right y [mm]". Again it
doesn't say "Good bye". Remarkable, when I start xscanimage as root
I can play with the sliders, but when I click on "Preview window",
it crashes with an error message:
"xscanimage konnte nicht als Anwender root ausgeführt werden:
 Unterprozess endete mit dem Status 13"
Whatever that means, German is my mother tongue, but this message
tells me nothing.
So far for this evening.

> Now I understand. This has been fixed a few weeks ago - please use the
> latest CVS snapshot for further testing.

Sorry, do you mean the CVS-version of the backend? I have very
little experience in compiling stuff from source. Or do you mean
backend+sane+scanimage+???
I guess, I'll learn a lot this week.

> Well you only need access to the parport device @ /dev/parport0 and then
> you should be able to use the scanner as "normal" user.

There is no /dev/parport0 here, all I have is a /dev/port or
/dev/.static/dev/parport0. But anyway, what should I do to make it
available for normal users, if there would /dev/parport0 exist,
chmod o+rw?

> This looks like the timing variable overflow and has also been fixed a couple
> of weeks ago.

Again, I guess, I'll learn a lot this week.

>>>Are you saying Win2K? Are you shure? It thought there ain't any drivers
>>>available for this OS, because the driver will completely freeze the system
>>>during scans!
>>
>>Yes, I do. I got the scanner as a present 4 years ago. The owner could
>>not find a driver for an OS newer than NT4.0. Don't ask me what I did
>>exactly, I did not write anything down, I was just playing. I installed
>>  drivers for other scanners (PRIMAX, UMAX, PLUSTEK) and replaced some
>>dll's with the versions taken from the NT-driver of my one. Then, there
>>was the moment when it worked and it works until today. AFAIR is it the
>>Twain-interface of a "Colorado" model, but I'm not really sure. That's
>>why a have a three backups of this installation at three different
>>places ;-)
>

> Oh,oh, but congrats to make it work that way ;)

It was just some luck combined with a lot of masochism. That's the
way how we live together with computers today, isn't it?

> Ciao,
> Gerhard

Bonne soirée