[sane-devel] Trouble with Primax 4800 Direct

Gerhard Jaeger gerhard at gjaeger.de
Tue Oct 25 08:39:45 UTC 2005

On Monday 24 October 2005 21:40, Daniel Klär wrote:
> Gerhard Jaeger schrieb:
>
> >>I couldn't figure out why xscanimage and xsane were crashing all the
> >>time, so I started using scanimage. At least xsane (using the
> >>net:localhost device) prompts a box telling me, that the backend wants
> >>to have username and password. I have to test this more systematically,
> >>maybe next weekend or after work today.
> >

> > Okay - please keep me informed.
>
> Here we go, one quick test. I start xscanimage as normal user. It
> doesn't ask me what device I want to choose (like it does for root),
> it uses the net:localhost:plustek_pp:parport0 automatically. I click
> "Preferences" in the menu and check the checkbox "Show advanced
> options": xscanimage disappears without saying "Good bye".

Hmmm, no very nice ;)

> I try again, xscanimage comes up, I make the window a little bit
> larger --> Preferences --> Show advanced options. Ooops, it really
> shows me these options: 4 range sliders in the righthandside part of
> the window. I click on the slider "Bottom-right y [mm]". Again it
> doesn't say "Good bye". Remarkable, when I start xscanimage as root
> I can play with the sliders, but when I click on "Preview window",
> it crashes with an error message:
> "xscanimage konnte nicht als Anwender root ausgeführt werden:
>  Unterprozess endete mit dem Status 13"
> Whatever that means, German is my mother tongue, but this message
> tells me nothing.
> So far for this evening.

What about xsane? Same problems! I suspect xscanimage is more or less
buggy!

> > Now I understand. This has been fixed a few weeks ago - please use the
> > latest CVS snapshot for further testing.
>
> Sorry, do you mean the CVS-version of the backend? I have very
> little experience in compiling stuff from source. Or do you mean
> backend+sane+scanimage+???
> I guess, I'll learn a lot this week.

CVS is the versioning system where we keep track of changes and where
we keep the sources. Here you'll find the bleeding edge of SANE.
You will also find daily-snapshots at http://www.sane-project.org/snapshots/
they should contain also more or less current sources (with a delay of at least
one day)

> > Well you only need access to the parport device @ /dev/parport0 and then
> > you should be able to use the scanner as "normal" user.
>
> There is no /dev/parport0 here, all I have is a /dev/port or
> /dev/.static/dev/parport0. But anyway, what should I do to make it
> available for normal users, if there would /dev/parport0 exist,
> chmod o+rw?

Yep! Try
chmow a+rw /dev/.static/dev/parport0

> > This looks like the timing variable overflow and has also been fixed a couple
> > of weeks ago.
>
> Again, I guess, I'll learn a lot this week.

> >>Yes, I do. I got the scanner as a present 4 years ago. The owner could
> >>not find a driver for an OS newer than NT4.0. Don't ask me what I did
> >>exactly, I did not write anything down, I was just playing. I installed
> >>  drivers for other scanners (PRIMAX, UMAX, PLUSTEK) and replaced some
> >>dll's with the versions taken from the NT-driver of my one. Then, there
> >>was the moment when it worked and it works until today. AFAIR is it the
> >>Twain-interface of a "Colorado" model, but I'm not really sure. That's
> >>why a have a three backups of this installation at three different
> >>places ;-)
> >

> > Oh,oh, but congrats to make it work that way ;)
>
> It was just some luck combined with a lot of masochism. That's the
> way how we live together with computers today, isn't it?

So keep the maschism and try to compile SANE from source, install it
and see if the plustek_pp stuff works better.

Ciao,
Gerhard