[sane-devel] Sane doesn't create a scanner device

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf at member.fsf.org
Tue Oct 25 11:15:34 UTC 2005

Karl Heinz Kremer <khk at khk.net> writes:

> You need to configure your hotplug system - this will then create the
> scanner device for you once the scanner is connected to the system.
> I'm not familiar with Gentoo, so I don't know how this is done with
> your system.

There most likely will be a dynamically created device by the name of

  /proc/bus/usb/001/004

but it may not have the correct permissions.  You need read and write
permissions for the user that wants to use the scanner.

Note that when you re-plug or power cycle the device it will change
"names" (probably to /proc/bus/usb/001/005, 006 and so on).  Unless
you set up hotplug (or udev, which I still have to look into myself)
to do this for you, you will need to do this manually every time you
re-plug, power cycle the device or reboot.

For USB scanners with a recent enough libusb (>= 0.1.6) and kernel (>=
2.4.12-ish. IIRC) there is no real need to muck with /dev/usb/scanner*
anymore.  For 2.6.x kernels /dev/usb/scanner* is not an option, really.

> On Oct 24, 2005, at 6:40 PM, dark_mail at gmx.net wrote:
>
>> I'm using an Epson Stylus Photo RX 420 (scanner-printer-combo) on a
>> Gentoo machine (Kernel 2.6.13).
>>
>> Sane is version 1.0.15 (back- and frontend).
>>
>> My problem is the following:
>>
>> sane-find-scanner detects my scanner correctly:
>>
>> found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x080f [USB MFP]) at
>> libusb:001:004
>>
>> But I don't find a device for the scanner anywhere. I even created a
>> /dev/usb/scanner0 by hand, but that didn't help me, either.
>>
>> I also tried iscan, but it only says that it can't connect to the
>> scanner and that I should make sure the scanner is on.

What version?  If you take care of the hotplug support it provides,
most of the EPSON scanners should work out-of-the-box (unless your
system has already switched to udev in favour of hotplug).

>> [snip]

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen