[sane-devel] Sane doesn't create a scanner device

russbucket russbucket at nwi.net
Wed Oct 26 23:10:25 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 26 October 2005 05:11, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
> CC:ing sane-devel for the benefit of archival purposes.
>
> dark_mail at gmx.net writes:
> > Actually, I already have switched to udev. So gathering from your
> > answer I guess iscan and udev don't work together.
>
> Let me put it this way, iscan does not have any udev support so when
> you plug in your device udev may not recognise it as a scanner.  The
> upshot of that is that the device node may not get the permissions
> needed iscan and other SANE frontends to access it.  You will need
> read and write access to the device for it to work.
>
> Just to make sure, check that the /proc/bus/usb/###/### entry that
> corresponds to your RX420 has read/write access for everyone.  If it
> doesn't, then, as root, do
>
>   # chmod 0666 /proc/bus/usb/###/###
>
> and give it another try.
>
> # For the security conscious boys and girls out there, I know that
> # this is not a good idea in general, but we're just trying to get
> # the damn thing to work here first.
>
> > I tried again to make the scanner work, without result. It makes no
> > difference if I'm a normal user or root, neither the with epson- nor
> > with the iscan-backend I get it to work.
>
> Now, if it also doesn't work when you are root, then there may be
> something else that is getting in your way because root normally can
> do anything to the device.  i say normally, because SELinux and the
> like may throw a spanner in the works here.  For now I'm assuming you
> are using the good old Unix ACL mechanism.
>
> > The node at /proc/bus/usb/001/ is there, but I can't use it in any way.
> > Creating a link from the respective node to something in /dev/ didn't
> > help me, either.
>
> With /proc being a virtual file system, I'm surprised you managed to
> make it a symlink to anywhere else to begin with.
>
> > But I can't believe I'm the only one not able to make it work!
>
> Actually, there is another thread going on (started by russbucket,
> IIRC) that just may be related to this (at least as far as iscan is
> concerned).
>
> > What do you think: Is udev the reason? Is it something else? Is it me?
>
> Nah, it's probably the weather or the phase of the moon ;-)
>
> Seriously, sane-backends should have reasonably working udev support,
> but I vaguely recall seeing some udev related commits recently.  You
> may want to check CVS for the latest scoop on this.
>
> > I have updated my sane-backend to version 1.0.16, didn't help.
>
> That version introduced a locking mechanism which may or may not be
> enabled by default on Gentoo.  I don't know the details (yet).  Any
> one else care to jump in?  Henning?
>
> BTW, the epson backend in that version should support your scanner out
> of the box.  In 1.0.15 it did not, but you could force support for it
> by adding
>
>   usb 0x04b8 0x080f
>
> to your /etc/sane.d/epson.conf.
>
> > I even installed iscan from rpm (which normally isn't a good idea when
> > you use portage for all other packages).

> [...]
I found an item on Novell that says SuSE 10.0 only uses udev not hotplug. When
I look at udev there are entries for a usbscanner in 50-udev.rules. I noticed
the permissions are 644 so I'm going to try changing them to 0666.

If I add my CX6600 (oxo4b8 0x0813 to the epson.conf and uninstall iscan do you
think it will work? is it better to run iscan-free? I don't care anymore if I
use Iscan and epkowa or what as long as I get something working. I tryed the
suggestion of disabling my usblp, but it did not help.

How do you switch to udev and disable hotplug when novell say hotplugs not
used?

I see no scanner created for my CX6600 but the printer and usb disks are.

Thanks for everyones continuing help.