[sane-devel] Re: request for extra xsane functionality

Oliver Rauch Oliver.Rauch at Rauch-Domain.DE
Fri Oct 28 15:40:44 UTC 2005

Hello Jan.

When you scan a DIN-A4 page with 200x200 dpi and save it e.g. as a tiff
file then you get an image with about 1700 x 2200 pixels. At this point
there is no relation to a size in millimeter, centimeter, inch or DIN-A3
or something like that.

What you can do is a pixel based scaling. E.g. you want to reduce the
image with 1700 x 2200 pixel to 850 x 1100 pixel. For this you can use
the viewer mode of xsane:

- select "Viewer" in the main xsane window
- scan the image (no preview, a real scan)
- the image is displayed in the viewer window
- select the scaling function and enter scaling factor 0.5
- when scaling has finished save the image

But there will be nothing like "Scale to DIN-A4", this is not possible
when you do not know the size of a pixel!

Best regards
Oliver