[ANNOUNCE] iscan release (was Re: [sane-devel] Epson 3490)

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Thu Sep 1 03:50:24 UTC 2005

Olaf Meeuwissen <olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp> writes:

> Jim MacLeod <j75trym at blueyonder.co.uk> writes:
>
>> I'm new to scanning and relatively new to Linux. Searched the web
>> for info and got the impression, which others confirmed, that
>> generally anything epson works with Linux, but maybe not the 3490!
>> sane-find-scanner gets vendor and product code but scanimage -L
>> finds nothing.
>>
>> Having now read a previous mail about the 4490 I'm guessing that the
>> same applies to the 3490, ie no go..are my fears justified?
>
> The same does not apply.  The 4490 and 3490 are very different
> scanners.  The 3490 is partially supported by the latest snapscan
> backend.  Also, iscan will support the 3490 with the next version
> (1.17.0) using a closed source plugin.

Sorry, forgot to mention the URL.

  http://www.avasys.jp/english/linux_e/

BTW, iscan-1.16.0 saw the light of day yesterday.  It adds support for
a small business MFP marketed in Japan.  That's probably not so very
interesting for most of you but what may be more interesting is that
there are now also experimental gcc-3.4 or later packages.

For those who missed 1.15.0, that version added support for the Stylus
Photo RX700 and the AcuLaser CX11.  Moreover, iscan uses GTK+ 2.x by
default as of that version and can be used as a GIMP 2.x plugin.

--
Olaf Meeuwissen                          EPSON AVASYS Corporation, LAN
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/