[sane-devel] xsane preview problem

Dale Braden genghis17 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 5 20:52:24 UTC 2005

I am using xsane v0.97 together with the snapscan backend (from
sane-backends v1.0.15) to drive an Epson 2580 Photo scanner.  I'm
scanning old black and white photographs.  Scanning works fine, but the
preview does not.  When I click the "Acquire Preview" in the xsane
Preview window, only streaks of black and white lines show up.  I don't
actually see anything like the image I'm trying to scan.  I hear the
scanner's motor run, but I notice that the light source does not move as
it would during a regular scan.  I don't know how to tell the scanner to
do a "preview" without using xsane, so I can't determine whether the
problem is with the scanner driver or with xsane.  Anybody know what the
problem is?

Dale