[sane-devel] Canoscan Problem

Gerhard Jaeger gerhard at gjaeger.de
Tue Sep 6 06:11:16 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Tuesday 06 September 2005 00:01, Chris Spencer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I try to acquire an image with the GIMP, my scanner starts making a
> terrible buzzing/grinding noise and the GIMP only acquires static. The
> scanning head is unlocked, and I haven't had any problems with the
> scanner on Windows, so I'm confused as to why I'm experiencing this
> problem. I have a Canon Canoscan N676U flatbed scanner, which is listed
> at http://www.buzzard.me.uk/jonathan/scanners-usb.html as being
> supported by the Plustek Sane backend. My Sane version is 1.0.15 and I'm
> using all the default settings in Fedora Core 4.
>
> Does this sound like a Sane/Plustek problem, or is my scanner somehow
> damaged? I just plugged the scanner into a Windows machine and was able
> to use it without any problems.

hmmm, have you tried to simply use scanimage and/or xsane w/o the GIMP?
Does it ever worked for you, using Linux?
It might be, that during startup the scanner take some time for calibration,
which is currently done each time you scan...

What about the debug output - any suspicious entries?

Ciao,
Gerhard