[sane-devel] xsane support of 16-bit grayscale scanner output

Dale Braden genghis17 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 7 03:52:46 UTC 2005

I have an Epson 2580 scanner, which is capable of 16-bit output for each
channel, including what it calls monochrome.  I'd like to use xsane to
preview the old black-and-white photographs that I have, and to set the
tone levels appropriately for each photograph, and then acquire the scan
with 16-bit depth.  I understand that xsane's preview mode is 8-bit
only, and that is fine.  But it isn't clear to me whether xsane can
actually receive 16-bit data from this scanner, because if I click on
File->Info, I see that the scanner output depth is 8-bit.  Where does
xsane get this information, and how can I change it?  Is this a
limitation of the snapscan backend?  I do not have the preference set
for reduction of 16-bit to 8-bit on output.

Dale