[sane-devel] Canoscan d646u (plain text, I hope)

Andrea FERRARI andrea.ferrari at st.com
Wed Sep 7 15:16:33 UTC 2005

Hi all,
I resend the message as plain text(I hope), because the html was scrubbed ...
Is there anybody else who can anser to this question?
Thanks a lot
Andrea

Hi Michael,
I read the mail pasted hereunder on the sane-devel mailing list.
I know it is a long time ago, but could you please tell me the end of
the story, if any?
Did you try to modify file backend/canon630u-common.c as per Henning
suggestion? Any results?
Thanks
Andrea

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 10:37:25PM -0800, Michael Laajanen wrote:
>/ I have a Redhat 8.0 installation and a USB connected scanner from
/>/ Canon, CanoScan D646U which I can not make work.
/
I can't find this scanner in our lists. I'm not sure if it's supported
at all.

>/ I have tried the Redhat provided SANE without success so I just
/>/ downloaded and compiled sane-backends-1.0.11 into my home directory and
/>/ home/lib to my LD_LIBRARY_PATH so the libs are poiting correct.
/>/
/>/ When executing sane-find-scanner I can see the scanner at
/>/ /dev/usb/scanner0,
/
Ok. Can you show us the output from /proc/bus/usb/devices?

If you don't mind to open your scanner, you could also tell us which
chips are used inside.

>/ so I added usb  /dev/usb/scanner0 to the file at
/>/ install_path/etc/sane.d/canon.conf.
/
canon.conf is for canon SCSI scanners (see man sane-canon).

>/ Any ide whats wrong? I also edited the canon630u.conf and recompiled so
/>/ my USB device ID matches in a desperate mov :)
/
I don't know if your scanner is similar to those devices. If it is,
you could change backend/canon630u-common.c. Search for this line:

  if ((vendor != 0x04a9) || (product != 0x2204))

And change it to use your product id. make clean; make ;make install.

But this will only work if your scanner is compatible with the other
canon USB scanners.

Maybe one of the canon maintainers has more information?