[sane-devel] Epson Perfection 3490 -> included bugfix makes it work

Belgabor belgabor at gmx.de
Fri Sep 16 13:37:54 UTC 2005

> > Hi!
> > Good news for all you with an Epson Perfection 3490 USB scanner.
>
> > Here is a bugfix to get the 'Epson Perfection 3490' scanner working.
> > It now makes perfect color *.pnm scans, at full A4 size.
>
> > The details: I've been looking over some usbmon dumps and scanimage
> > debug logs, and the Perfection 3490 should just read 120 bytes even
> > when firmware isn't loaded yet.
>
> > The fix is in snapscan-scsi.c.
> > Here are two kinds of diffs, I'm not sure which format is mandatory.
> > The diffs are against CVS snapshot sane-backends-2005-09-15.
>
> I applied the diffs against the latest CVS source (locally, I don't have
> write access to the CVS), and I can confirm that it works for scanning
> the whole page.  (I haven't done any tests for other options yet.)

I also have to thank for this patch (it came on the day I boght the scanner
without knowing about the issues). It is almost perfect as it works nice for
resolutions up to 1200 dpi. At 2400 and 3200 I get a combing effect. Every
other pixel column is offset by several pixels. It looks a bit like an
interlaced PAL TV picture (only the combing is vertical rather than
horizontal).
Hints appreciated (also if someone could confirm this. The error isn't there
in windoze, so it doesn't seem to be a hardware problem).

Some final questions:
- Is there any way to make use of the buttons on the scanner? I tried
scannerbuttond, but it didn't work.
- Does scanimage/xscanimage scan with 24bit or 48bit depth? If the first is
the case, is there a way to scan with 48bit?

Cheers
Tobias