[sane-devel] Re: Epson Perfection 3490 -> included bugfix makes it work

Jim MacLeod j75trym at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Sep 16 17:47:33 UTC 2005

Bauke Jan Douma wrote:

> I could also send you a pre-compiled binary libsane-snapscan.so,
> for an i386 architecture, but if I were you I'd never trust any
> binaries from just any joe random.
Me neither!!

> In my case you can make an exception though ;-)
I have total confidence

> Seriously, I'd be perfectly willing to do that.
Seriously I'd be extremely grateful. I'm using Kubuntu Hoary on i386.

I've cab-extracted esfw52.bin, put it /usr/bin and set firmware in
snapscan.conf to point to it, which I understand is the only other
requirement.
I had a look at libsane-extras in Breezy and it includes epkowa in the
description but I'm unsure whether this will run the 3490.

> The scanner works like a charm for me here -- I needed it badly
> to scan ca. 3000 newspaper clippings.  I'm simply stunned by the
> quality compared to my old Canoscan 630P, which itself I always
> found to be quite good already.
First time user - it's the tpu I'm after. Several hundred slides which I'd
like to get onto cd, and a darling wife(!) who keeps asking "when?".

> Regards,
>
> bjd

Thanks
Jim