[sane-devel] configure broken for gcc 4.0

Enrico Weigelt weigelt at metux.de
Mon Sep 26 13:33:18 UTC 2005

* Julien BLACHE <jb at jblache.org> schrieb:
> Enrico Weigelt <weigelt at metux.de> wrote:
>
> > BTW: the autotools stuff is broken by concept ...
>
> Blah blah. Do better, we'll discuss their shortcomings

Right. I'm currently developing an better solution:

I've called it the "unitool" project. Its goal: provide an uniform,
platform independent abstraction for the toolchain commands.
This way the platform dependent stuff is (nearly completely) moved
away from the application to the toolchain, and the toolchain is
- from the application's view - just one command with strictly
defined, self explaining parameters.

For example compiling an .c source to .o looks like:

    unitool --compile 			\
	input foo.c 			\
	output foo.o 			\
	define-symbol "FURUNKEL=1"

Or linking an library is like:

    unitool --link-library 		\
	library-name foo 		\
	input foo.o 			\
	input knollo.o
	link-dynamic expat

Unitool also provides an libtool-like frontend (incl. loading/storing
libtool files) files and is of course fully sysroot-capable.
I'm already using it as drop-in-replacement for libtool to get
libtool'ed packages properly built in an sysroot'ed environment.

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT service

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact at metux.de
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481