[sane-devel] Trouble with network scanning and Umax Astra 2200

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Thu Sep 29 12:25:55 UTC 2005

Hi,

Please reply to the mailing list, not to me personally. I'm not an
UMAX expert :-)

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 05:52:02PM -0500, Jonathan Hall wrote:
> I just ran scanimage -d net:<server IP>:test -T, and that passed all the
> tests.

According to your log, all tests failed. And as far as I can see, the
FAIL messages will only be printed after you press CTRL-C (or kill
saned). So no data gets transferred at all. Let's have a look at the
server log:

> I created the log files you requested, and have pasted them on the web:
>
> SANE_DEBUG_UMAX=255 saned -d128
> http://narnia.flimzy.com/~jonhall/saned.log

> SANE_DEBUG_NET=255 scanimage -d net:10.0.2.10:umax:libusb:001:015 -T
> http://narnia.flimzy.com/~jonhall/scanimage.log

The first error I can see is here:
[umax] Sending SCSI cmd 0x00 cdb len 6, param len 0, result len 0
[umax] error in sanei_pv8630_bulkread (got 08)
[umax] mini_init_scanner
[umax] scanner reports Error during device I/O, waiting ...
[umax] Sending SCSI cmd 0x00 cdb len 6, param len 0, result len 0
[umax]   SCSI command successfully executed
[umax] scanner ready

Maybe this is normal, you could check that in a log when scanning
locally.

But here it goes:
[umax] sane_get_parameters
[umax] error in sanei_pv8630_bulkread (got 40)
[umax] scanner reports Error during device I/O, waiting ...
[umax] Sending SCSI cmd 0x00 cdb len 6, param len 0, result len 0
[umax] error in sanei_pv8630_bulkread (got a5)
[umax] Sending SCSI cmd 0x00 cdb len 6, param len 0, result len 0
[umax] error in sanei_pv8630_bulkread (got a5)
[umax] Sending SCSI cmd 0x00 cdb len 6, param len 0, result len 0
[umax] error in sanei_pv8630_bulkread (got a5)
[umax] Sending SCSI cmd 0x00 cdb len 6, param len 0, result len 0
[umax] error in sanei_pv8630_bulkread (got a5)
[umax] Sending SCSI cmd 0x00 cdb len 6, param len 0, result len 0
[umax] error in sanei_pv8630_bulkread (got a5)
[...]

Actually the backend never sends any scan data to saned so saned can't
send any data to the client. As far as I can see saned/net is not
involved. This looks like some kind of USB problem. It's just starnge
that it only occurs when scanning over the net.

> Then I rean the exact same scanimage command, but captured the output of:
> SANE_DEBUG_UMAX=255 strace saned -d128
> http://narnia.flimzy.com/~jonhall/saned.strace.log

That one also shows that saned waits for data from the backend but
doesn't get any.

So in your case, you should compare the difference between logfiles
created locally and the one created while scanning over the net.

For additional debug messages, set SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_PV8630=255 and
SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_USB=255. To reduce the amount of messages cause by
other backends, comment out every backend but "umax" in dll.conf on
the server.