[sane-devel] Authorization , plug on plug off the usb

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Mon Apr 3 18:19:45 UTC 2006

Hi,

On 2006-03-30 03:18, Tamkang wrote:
>   I have a question , if the device files located in
>   /proc/bus/usb/001/002 permissions was -rw-rw-rw the scanner can be
>   use by unprevilaged user , so can i just change the permission ?

For newer Linux kernels which use udev, the file can also be lcoated
in /dev/bus/usb/001/002 (or similar).

>   for permanently.  and also I read the README.Linux there is a
>   question too about distribution that I don't understand exactly
>   what it means, I quote " ... One Solution to set permissions
>   on-the-fly are the Linux hot-plug tools that should come with any
>   current distribution ... ( in here current distribution means my OS
>   rignt ? Redhat (e.g: README.redhat.gz ) where is this file ?
>   because ... )

E.g. Debian, SuSE, Redhat.

I don't know wexactly where Redhat explains how SANE permissions are
integrated. Maybe you can find docuemantation on their Website?
If not, ask their support or ask in newsgroups.

>   Your distribution should have set up the scripts to automatically
>   change permissions correctly. Look for " libsane.usermap" and
>   "libusbscanner" in /etc/hotplug/usb . Usually you must just add the
>   users that are allowed to access the scanner to group "scanner". To
>   make that change active, the user must login again. ( is it will
>   ask the user to input Password again?)

Just log out and log in again.

>   For more details , see your
>   distribution's documentation e.g : for debian : README.debian.gz (
>   and if I use Redhat where can I found thouse documentation ? )

I don't know if it exists as a Readme.

>   because I am not experience in Linux, and I need help. Thanks

Read the documentation of your distribution :-)
Somewhere package-specific documentation must be located also for
Redhat.