[sane-devel] hp ScanJet 5200C not working

Mark Longridge mark at cubeman.org
Fri Apr 28 20:18:44 UTC 2006

Hi Dominik,

I use the HP 5200C a lot and it does work with
xsane and scanimage BUT I can not use the front
button via USB. I am talking to HP about the front button
and they are trying to help me. Soon I will try it with the
MS Windows software just to see if the button works.
I think perhaps the button does work via the parallel
port with xsane but I don't have the cable.

I also wrote a couple of simple utilities to talk to the
scanner directly by sending commands to /dev/usb/scanner0 .
But I am using 2.4.22-1.2199.nptlsmp (Fedora Core 1).

You can read my notes here: http://cubeman.org/hp.txt

You could try something like this:

scanimage -d hp:/dev/usb/scanner0 --mode color --resolution 100 -x 50 -y 50 >
test.pnm

I don't know if that would work on ubuntu 5.10 but basically
talking to the 5200C straightforward if you know the SCL
commands. I know that MS Windows users complained that
sometimes the scanner would stop responsing to messages
via USB. This would happen if the NVRAM was corrupted.

Mark