[sane-devel] Re: USB Boeder SmartScan on Debian Sarge

Rodolfo Medina rodolfo.medina at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 13:31:38 UTC 2006

Thanks indeed to Jim McQuillan and Henning Meier-Geinitz
for their precious help.
I'm reporting the procedure I followed, apart from possible
errors and imprecisions.
Corrections welcome.

Cheers, bye
Rodolfo

Operating system: Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 ("Sarge") r2, kernel 2.4.

My scanner is Boeder, SmartScan Slim Edition.
I did:

 # apt-get install sane

, then I went to:

 http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/gt68xx-backend/

and followed the instructions:

1) I put the file gt680xfw.usb (that Henning Meier-Geinitz from
   the sane-devel mailing list, kindly sent me) in `/usr/share/sane/gt68xx';

2) I did:
    # cd /etc/sane.d
    # cp gt68xx.conf gt68xx.conf-original
   , and in the file `/etc/sane.d/gt68xx.conf' I changed the lines

    # Boeder SmartScan Slim Edition:
    #override "artec-ultima-2000"
    #vendor "Boeder"
    #model "SmartScan Slim Edition"

   into:

    # Boeder SmartScan Slim Edition:
    override "artec-ultima-2000"
    vendor "Boeder"
    model "SmartScan Slim Edition"
    firmware gt680xfw.usb

. I made sure that the scanner was seen by `sane': I did:

 $ sane-find-scanner

and got the output:

 found USB scanner (vendor=0x05d8, product=0x4002, chip=GT-6801) at libusb:001:003

. Then I did:

 # scanimage -h

to get the list of all the possible options available for my scanner.
To scan a white and black photo, I did:

 # scanimage > photo.pnm

. To scan a colour photo I did:

 # scanimage --mode Color > photo.pnm

. To scan a document I did:

 # scanimage --mode Lineart > document.pnm

. To print `document.pnm', I did:

 # apt-get install netpbm
 $ pnmtops document.pnm > document.ps
 $ lp document.ps