[sane-devel] Plustek scanner - follow up

Immanuel CRC Office office at immanuelministries.ca
Fri Aug 4 15:39:55 UTC 2006

Gerhard Jaeger wrote:
> On Thursday 03 August 2006 16:51, Immanuel CRC Office wrote:
>> Okay, so I'm getting somewhere.
>>
>> Plustek OpticPro 9639P+, parallel port
>> using plustek_pp backend.
>>
>> I have to run all as root so far.
>>
>> scanimage -L gives:
>> device `plustek_pp:parport0' is a Plustek 9636P+/Turbo parallel port
>> flatbed scanner
>> device `hpaio:/par/HP_LaserJet_1200?device=/dev/parport0' is a hp
>> HP_LaserJet_1200 multi-function peripheral
>>
>> (Great! I have two connected in series to my parallel port. Printer
>> still works. Ideally, I want both connected and both working, so we're
>> getting somewhere.)
>>
>> When I do:
>> scanimage -d plustek_pp:parport0 -p > image.pnm
>>
>> I heard a bit of sounds from the scanner. Then I got:
>> scanimage: sane_read: Error during device I/O
>>

>> 1. Still can only do stuff as root.
>> 2. Need to fix error.
>>
>> Ideas?
>
> Hi,
>
> I didn't follow the thread so far, so some hints might be doubled:
>
> - remove the printer from the chain as this might cause problems
>   (has also be stated by Plustek)
> - make sure to have any ECP mode disabled in BIOS (set the port to
>   SPP, BiDi or EPP)
> - for having access to the parallel port as "normal" user you have to
>   tweak probably the udev/hotplug settings depending on the distribution
>   you use
>
> HTH
> Gerhard

I switched it to EPP, removed the printer, and voila! I have a scan.

However, I only got a small scan (not full size of page), and the
background is red. I'm trying to scan text to do OCR.

I tried a full page of text and the background isn't red, but the text
is not high enough resolution at all.

I'll look into getting the it work with Xsane (have to get user to
access scanner yet).

Any tips?

Crystle

--