[sane-devel] PATCH : Disallowing sane-find-scanner to detect Non-Scanner USB devices

Parag N(पराग़) panemade at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 08:55:50 UTC 2006

Hi,
On 8/9/06, Johannes Meixner <jsmeix at suse.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Aug 9 13:03 Parag N(????) wrote (shortened):
> > With reference to Johannes Meixner's mail to this mailing list
> > http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2006-August/017446.html,
> > I have created a patch that will make sane-find-scanner not to detect
> > Non-Scanner USB devices.
>
> The following in the patch looks wrong for me:
> +                if (i->bInterfaceClass == 255)
> +                    {
> +                       --is_scanner;
> because there are USB scanners which have bInterfaceClass = 255
> e.g. my Epson all-in-one device, see my other mail where I
> listed sane-find-scanner and lsusb results on three hosts:
> Bus 002 Device 003: ID 04b8:080f Seiko Epson Corp.
>   bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
>   idVendor           0x04b8 Seiko Epson Corp.
>   idProduct          0x080f
>       bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
>       iInterface              5 EPSON Scanner
>       bInterfaceClass         7 Printer
>       iInterface              6 USB Printer
>       bInterfaceClass         8 Mass Storage
>       iInterface              7 USB Mass Storage
> and my plain Epson USB scanner has also bInterfaceClass = 255
> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 04b8:0121 Seiko Epson Corp.
>   bDeviceClass          255 Vendor Specific Class
>   idVendor           0x04b8 Seiko Epson Corp.
>   idProduct          0x0121
>       bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
>       iInterface              0

   Thanks for replying and testing patch. So this is not useful to
make sane-find-scanner not to show up non USB Scanner devices.
    I agree only option then to have a proper maintained list from all
supported scanners by sane-backend.
    I got an idea how about writing a code that will parse each
vendor's descriptions files and show up its name,usb id's, backend
status like good,basic,complete? I also found not all entries in .desc
files have usb id's.

Regards,
Parag.