[sane-devel] Help with Canon 2700f

abel deuring adeuring at gmx.net
Mon Aug 14 20:50:41 UTC 2006

John Bird wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks to all for the past assistance but I'm still having problems getting a
> canon 2700f SCSI film scanner to work with SANE. I have tried the suggestions
> offered so far but as sane-find-scanner still produces the following output.
>
> found SCSI scanner "CANON IX-27015C 1.15" at /dev/sg0
>   # Your SCSI scanner was detected. It may or may not be supported by SANE.
> Try
>   # scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.
>
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x055f, product=0x021c [USB Scanner], chip=GT-6816)
> at libusb:001:005
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x0bc7, product=0x0004) at libusb:001:004
>   # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported
> by
>   # SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.
>
> but scanimage -L only produces the following
>
> scanimage -L
> Password:
> device `gt68xx:libusb:001:005' is a Mustek Bearpaw 1200 CU Plus flatbed
> scanner
>
> I think that the problem is the canon conf file so if anybody has one of these
> running on a Linux box will they please post theirs
>
> Additional information (in case it is relevent)
>
> The files for the scanner are located in the following directory.
> /sys/devices/platform/host0/target0:0:2:0/0:0:2:0
>
> and the output from cat  /proc/scsi/scsi is
>
> Attached devices:
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
>   Vendor: CANON    Model: IX-27015C        Rev: 1.15
>   Type:   Scanner

John,

make sure that:

- /dev/sg0 is readable for the user running scanimage or another
  frontend, or, for a first test, run scanimage -L as root. /dev/sg0
  is the device file that will be used to access the scanner.
- /etc/sane.d/dll.conf (or /usr/local/etc/sane.d/dll.conf, if you
  installed Sane directly from the sources) has a line 'canon',
  without a leading '#'
- check the existence of /etc/sane.d/canon.conf resp.
  /usr/local/etc/sane.d/sanon.conf

The default version of canon.conf contains a line like
"/dev/scanner". I am not sure, if this is enough; you might add a
line "/dev/sg0".

If all this does not help, run

export SANE_DEBUG_DLL=255
export SANE_DEBUG_CANON=255
export SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_SCSI=255
scanimage -L 2> test.log

This will produce a (perhaps somewhat larger) file test.log that
contains much debug output. Send the file to me (may be too big for
the mailing list), and I'll see, what the cause of the problem might be.

Abel