[sane-devel] Which scanner for Linux

Dennis Meulensteen dennis at meulensteen.nl
Tue Dec 5 13:41:49 CET 2006

Hi all,

I tried an Epson perfection V350 Photo last week, but it is only partially
supported and the driver requires a closed source library. I returned it for
a refund.

I've checked the sane list of supported units, but I can't see the forest for
the trees. Also, lots of web sites appear to carry outdated reccommendations
as far as scanning is concerned. Types that are no longer available in shops
and such.

Can anyone please recommend a scanner that answers to the following criteria,
in descending order of importance:

- less than +/-160 EUR ($200)
- no closed-source bits needed for basic operation.
- 4800 optical dpi max, in full-color.
- A4 (letter) size flatbed.
- decent for occasional transparency and film scans.
- not a 'multifunctional'
- in (web) shops now

Thanks,
Dennis