[sane-devel] Problems in 1.0.18, sane_fujitsu, USB fi5120C.

Lonny Granstrom lonnyg at Binsons.Com
Thu Dec 14 17:34:37 CET 2006

Allen,

m. allan noah wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Dec 2006, Lonny Granstrom wrote:
>
>> PROBLEM:
>> Latest release for sane-fujitsu in July2006 (1.0.18) has broken BASH
>> scripts.
>
> yes. the fujitsu backend has been nearly completely rewritten between
> sane 1.0.17 and .18. Many of the options provided by the backend may
> have changed names or take a different range of options. if your scripts
> are coded to look for certain option names, they will no longer work.
>

>> COMMAND HELP ISSUES (1.0.18):
>> 1. Running scanadf/scanimage --help -d <USB-fi5120C> documents
>> arguments that
>>  are NOT accepted: --pagewidth, --pageheight.
>
> what do you mean 'NOT accepted', do you get an error?

EX: scanimage/scanadf -d <USB-fi5120C> --pagewidth 100.0
    ERROR: scanimage:/scanadf: sane_start: Invalid Argument.
EX: scanimage/scanadf -d <USB-fi5120C> --pageheight 60.0
    ERROR: None. Eject occurs @60.0mm & Image not cropped, height = 215.872mm.
EX: scanimage/scanadf -d <USB-fi5120C> -y 60.0
    ERROR: None. Eject occurs @60.0mm & Image cropped properly to 60.0mm.

>> 2. Help messages for -x, -y, --pagewidth, & --pageheight do NOT
>> provide proper
>>  information, descriptions are all the same.
>
> what messages do they provide? my copy says:
>
>     -x 0..224.846mm (in steps of 0.0211639) [215.872]
>         Width of scan-area.
>     -y 0..863.489mm (in steps of 0.0211639) [279.364]
>         Height of scan-area.
>     --pagewidth 0..224.846mm (in steps of 0.0211639) [215.872]
>         Must be set properly to align scanning window
>     --pageheight 0..863.489mm (in steps of 0.0211639) [279.364]
>         Must be set properly to eject pages

Help messaages match - but references to ADF use dropped.

>>  (e.g., for ADF, both -l and -x MUST be used to properly mimic the
>> missing
>>         --pagewidth argument)
>
> -l and -x are not the same as --pagewidth. the last tells the scanner
> the size of the paper so it can decide where the left margin on the adf
> is located. the other two set the location of the area that will be
> scanned. note that the pagewidth must be larger than the location you
> are trying to scan, or you will likely get an error.

So this means what?
The .17 command:
  "scanadf -d <device> --pagewidth 100.0 --pageheight 60.0"
that produced correct results, a scanned image from the ADF 100mm x 60mm
automatically centered [matching adjustable paper guide movements], now
should be the .18 command:
  "scanadf -d <device> -l 62.4 -x 100.0 -y 60.0"
to produce the same results?
These 2 versions produce nearly identical results in the PNM file from our testing
(--pageheight is unnecessary for .18 expected results).

RELATED: if I change the values to be EXACT: -? 60.0 => -? 59.9998 still get;
"scanimage:/scanadf: rounded value of br-? from 59.9998 to 59.9998"

>> 3. Changes to --source options are misleading.
>>  (e.g,; --source ADF Front [as documented default] does NOT work,
>>         fact that value MUST be quoted is not indicated.
>>         Command that works: --source 'ADF Front' or --source "ADF Front")
>
> this is common to all multi-word options accessed by scanimage, and not
> fujitsu specific. the output that you see is generated by scanimage.
> perhaps scanimage could check for whitespace inside a string arg, and
> put quotes around it before display.
>
>> FUNCTIONAL ISSUES:
>> [NOTE: none of the following occurs if --source ommitted (using default)]
>> A. Running the command from same BASH script now fails 100% with the
>> following:
>>    scanadf: setting of option --source failed (Invalid argument)
>
> [snip]
>
>> Any help or suggestions would be appreciated?
>
> maybe escape the quotes with a \ when you build your SCAN_OPTS variable?
> this is really a bash question, not a sane question.

Did find a BASH solution to this.

--
Regards,
Lonny L. Granstrom